20+ Amazing Cat Facts – Many cat owners are fascinated by their feline friends. Cats can be quirky, and their behavior often amuses their owners. But there is more to cats than their quirky personalities.
20+ Amazing Cat Facts
- Much like humans can be righthanded or lefthanded, cats can favor their right paw or left paw. Cats can even be ambidextrous.
- Cats spend roughly one-third of their waking hours cleaning themselves. In fact, cats’ tongues are so strong that they can lick animal bone clean.
- A single litter of kittens can produce multiple “father” cats.
- Selkirk cats are known for their distinctive curly coats. But Selkirk cats slowly lose their natural-born curly coats in the months after their births. The coat begins to grow again when Selkirk cats reach eight months of age.
- While cats are partial to litter boxes, their skill sets enable them to learn how to use toilets.
- Though cats might not have the skill set to operate blow driers, 25 percent of cat owners use driers to dry their cats’ coats after bathing.
- Kittens may be adorable and cuddly, but their teeth are most sharp at this stage of their life. Upon reaching six months of age, cats lose their needle-sharp milk teeth.
- Once they reach one week old, cats start to dream while sleeping.
- Cats don’t just close their eyes because they’re tired. In fact, many cats close their eyes when they’re happy or pleased.
- Cats’ pregnancies last just nine weeks.
- Cats can jump up to five times their own heights.
- While not all cats with blue eyes are deaf, many cats with blue eyes cannot hear. That said, many kittens are born with blue eyes, only to have their eye color change with age.
- Cats have a naturally strong aversion to all things citrus.
- Cats of the opposite sex tend to make better housemates than cats of the same sex.
- Cats can become addicted to tuna, potentially resulting in a vitamin E deficiency.
- The majority of cats do not have eyelashes.
- Cats tend to have 12 whiskers on each side of their face.
- Cats fart, but they usually don’t stink like human farts or dog farts.
- Cats conserve energy by sleeping for an average of 13 to14 hours a day.
- Cats have flexible bodies and teeth adapted for hunting small animals such as mice and rats.
- A group of cats is called a clowder.
- A male cat is called a tom, a female cat is called a molly or queen while young cats are called kittens.
- Cats purrr at a frequency of 26 Hertz, which stiumlate bone and tissue growth.
Grow the list!
What are some other amazing cat facts you know that can be added to this list?
We might just add it to this list or make a second list!
The above list of interesting and amazing facts about cats and felines are courtesy of Animal Planet, Metro Creative PE174924 and other sources.
2 thoughts on “20+ Amazing Cat Facts”